There’s about a week left in the year and it’s a great time to take a look back and celebrate all of the successes of the year. Normally, I would put something here about not trying to brag and being modest about what has happened in the last 358 days…..but screw that! This has been a really dope year and I’m proud AF of what happened. So break out the air horns and warm up your body rolls for a trip through 12 months and 126 shows…..let’s do this!
- Performed at the Burlesque Hall of Fame
- Headlined a Festival (Ohio Burlesque Festival)
- Participated in an International festival
- Won an International title (Best overall at the Dublin Burlesque Festival)
- Was included in my second book and my first as a performer
- Started my own monthly show – Shimmy’s House Party
- Started teaching my first movement class – The Art of Doing Nothing
- Did a “TED” style talk on launching your art like a product
- Starting hosting in addition to performing
- Traveled to 11 states this year: Alaska, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nevada, New York, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Wisconsin
- Traveled overseas to Ireland!
- Went on 2 mini tours (that I didn’t realize was a tour until I was halfway through it)
Things that went well this year
- Took leaps of faith – Even when it didn’t make sense, I trusted my own inner voice and did what I felt was best. It worked out most of the time and even when it didn’t it was pretty great
- Opened myself up – This year, I let people in and it wasn’t as horrible as I was afraid it would be. In fact, it was beautiful being able to share space with so many amazing people
- Traveled overseas by myself. That’s all.
- Changed careers – I left a field that was comfortable but boring to me for one that was much less comfortable but rewarding.
Things to work on going forward
- Maintaining friendships – While I’m actually better than I have been in the past, I’m not great at it. It’s one of the things I’ve been bad about my entire life. I’m very much a loner and will sometimes default to ghosting. If I do this, it’s not personal and I ask that you call me in on it.
- Maintaining boundaries – Normally, I’m a pretty cool cucumber, but when I get a feeling it’s pretty deep. It’s caused me to let people in I probably shouldn’t have, lead me to get involved in business I should have stayed away from and becoming a crutch instead of a sounding board. Now, this isn’t to say I won’t stop being all in my feelings, but moving forward I want to work on feeling the feeling not attaching how I feel about people with the feeling.
- Working smarter, not harder – y’all, I’ve done ALL THE THINGS this year. It’s been great and I’m so damn thankful to everyone who has put me on a stage, taken a class from me or has signed up for 1-1 consultation (yes, all of those things are still available. Hire me! Book me!). But moving forward, I’d like to be more selective with the work I do. I’d like to do bigger shows, headline/feature at a few festivals (I’m AVAILABLE!) and travel more including overseas.
- Faster turnaround from concept to delivery – I once had a friend tell me “Your hustle sometimes makes you distracted” and it’s true. Moving forward, I’m looking to sloooow down and truly execute on all of the thoughts I have swirling around in my head. Watch out y’all – there’s some pretty amazing things in the ol’ noggin.
- Being more “me” – Less being “nice”, more being “kind”. Embracing all parts of myself (even the parts hard to love). Loving loudly and unabashedly. Reclaiming my time.
2019 was a really special year and I’m looking forward to what 2020 will bring. I’d be honored if you came along with me on the journey!